“For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.” ~Romans 1:20
Arizona has long been a popular haven for field study related to the earth’s creation. Scientists come from around the world on research trips to the Grand Canyon, which is perhaps the largest and most impressive natural outdoor earth science laboratory on the planet. Our whole state is a landscape of geological wonders and biological diversity, and we’re also blessed with clear skies for some of the best astronomy viewing. So it’s not surprising that Arizona is home base for many of the nation’s top creation science ministries. In recent years, amazing new discoveries have shed light on the subjects of evolution, creation, and Bible science. More and more evidence is coming out against the theory of evolution and in favor of Creationism. Explore the resources offered at the following sites, and you will enjoy a better understanding and a greater appreciation for the true beauty of Creation as described in the Bible.
1. Arizona Origin Science Association – The Arizona Origin Science Association (AzOSA) was originally founded in 1995 and formally organized as a non-profit corporation in 2005. AzOSA sponsors public presentations that reveal the abundant evidence supporting a biblical creation while upholding the historical and scientific truth of the Bible with particular focus on Genesis 1-11. Their mission is to promote Creation Science in churches, in schools, and in our culture in general; to raise up and equip people to present Creation Science and the authority of God’s Word; and to promote research to study Creation Science and Biblical Creation. AZOSA currently has four chapters within the state. They support their mission through lectures, field studies, seminars, and memberships. Join them for family-friendly hikes, tours, and other hands-on events led by experts in the field. AzOSA speakers are also available for presentations at your church or homeschool association. Sign up to become a member of AzOSA, and subscribe to their mailing list to be notified of events in your area.
2. Canyon Ministries – Tom and Paula Vail operate Canyon Ministries, offering Christ-centered whitewater rafting trips through the Grand Canyon. Along the way, Tom (who has been a rafting guide in the Canyon since 1980) presents the evidence found in the canyon that supports and upholds The Word of God. They also present “The Message of the Grand Canyon” to churches and groups across the country. Presented at a layman’s level, the program is designed to strengthen people’s faith in the Word of God and provide them with some of the scientific evidence that supports a young earth interpretation of the Grand Canyon. Learn how the effects of Noah’s Flood, not millions of years of erosion, carved the Grand Canyon. Tom authored The Grand Canyon: A Different View. The book combines stunning photography with commentary from some of the leading creation science writers, researchers, and theologians of our time. He also wrote The True North Series: Your Guide to the Grand Canyon, a full-color guidebook that provides detailed information on the geology, climate, formations, fossils, history, and ecology of this national landmark intertwined with a powerful Biblical perspective, refuting the evolutionary view of the Canyon’s origins.
3. Center for Scientific Creation – Walt Brown received a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he was a National Science Foundation Fellow. He has taught college courses in physics, mathematics, and computer science. Brown is a retired Air Force full colonel, West Point graduate, and former Army Ranger and paratrooper. For much of his life Walt Brown was an evolutionist, but after years of study, he became convinced of the scientific validity of creation and a global flood. Since retiring from the military, Dr. Brown has been the Director of the Center for Scientific Creation in Phoenix and has worked full time in research, writing, and teaching on creation and the flood. Probably the best source of scientific evidence for Creation is his book, In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood. First published in 1980, the 8th edition was printed in 2008. Dr. Brown does an excellent job of collecting all the evidence from multiple researchers and presenting it in a concise fashion. Brown also has an excellent theory, revealed in a chapter called the “Fountains of the Deep,” on the process of the worldwide flood. The online edition of In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood by Dr. Walt Brown can be read or printed out at his website.
4. Christian Answers Network – This is a nondenominational ministry specializing in cost-effective evangelism and discipleship through mass media including the Internet, television, motion pictures, and publications. The ChristianAnswers.Net domain is owned and operated by Films for Christ® of Gilbert, Arizona, which operates under the following registered names—“Eden Communications”®, “Christian Answers”®, “Christian Answers Network”™, “ChristianAnswers.Net”™, “Christian Spotlight on the Movies”™, “Christian Spotlight on Entertainment”™, “Christian Spotlight on TV”™, “Kid Explorers”™, “WebBible”™, “Great Dinosaur Mystery”™, and “Christian Videos for Prisons”™. Films for Christ® was originally founded in 1959, and the Christian Answers Network has been online since 1995. Executive Director Paul S. Taylor is the chief visionary behind the 21st-century cyber-ministry. Check out their mega-site which is one of the largest and most popular Christian websites in the world! It provides biblical answers to contemporary questions on a variety of subjects for all ages and has been translated into many languages to serve visitors from around the globe. They also sell a hard-to-find DVD: Grand Canyon: Monument to the Flood.
5. Confound The Wise Ministries – Confound the Wise Ministries is a unique creation ministry based in Tonto Basin, Arizona, dedicated to spreading the unerring Word of God through science education. Would you believe that the founder of Confound the Wise Ministries has a Ph.D. in evolutionary biology with a minor in geology? Dr. J. Richard “Rick” Oliver participated in numerous scientific research projects over the course of his academic career including several dinosaur research projects in Wyoming and Montana, as well as major projects involving both biology and geology at the Grand Canyon in Arizona, and at Mount Saint Helens in Washington State. Dr. Oliver was there along with thousands of scientists from all over the world when the volcano blew in May 1980. After personally witnessing the empirical evidence of rapid catastrophic change, Dr. Oliver began rethinking his views on geologic “long ages.” Dr. Oliver became a Christian in 1987 and thus began lecturing on science regarding the origin of life from a young earth creationist point of view. For over 15 years, Dr. Oliver served as superintendent of the Mount Hermon Outdoor Science School in the Santa Cruz Mountains of California. Dr. Oliver designed and developed a Creation-centered science curriculum based on the California state science framework for middle school students (grades 5-8). The Creation-centered experiential learning based curriculum not only allowed students to become more knowledgeable about their environment, but developed an appreciation, respect and responsibility for it as well. A gifted communicator affectionately known as “Ranger Rick” by both his colleagues and students, his enthusiasm and knowledge of both biology and geology make him a popular speaker. Now that he’s retired, he spends a large part of the year on the road speaking on Science and Creationism at churches, camps and schools all around the country as well as overseas.
6. Creation, Evolution & Science Ministries – Russ Miller is one of the world’s top Biblical Creation speakers, and Creation Evolution Science Ministries (CESM) sets the standard for Christian Bus Tours. Russ originally spent 18 years developing a nationwide firm. A church trustee and theistic evolutionist at the time, he had a change of heart after seeing a creation speaker in 1998. He gave away his business and begun CESM which shares Godly edifying, life changing information thru dynamic presentations. Based in Flagstaff, CESM features escorted, fun-filled, Bible-based excursions to world renowned locations unique to the Southwest. Russ grew up in Arizona and has hiked and rafted Grand Canyon from beginning to end. He imparts excellent knowledge and biblical insights throughout his tours.
7. Crying Rocks Ministry – Guy Forsythe is a retired high school teacher from Ohio. After moving to Sedona in 2003, he and his wife Cindy started a creation science ministry in which they do a good job of presenting the truth of God’s Word as a reality for all people using science as a basis. Crying Rocks Ministry distributes a quarterly four-page full-color newsletter, Creation News Update, to every home in Sedona, the Village of Oak Creek and Oak Creek Canyon, as well as to visitors to the Sedona area. Archived issues are available on their website.
8. New Creation Ministries – New Creation Ministries was founded in 1980 by Sal and Pam Giardina as a non-profit teaching ministry specializing in biblical creation presentations. Sal Giardina is a registered professional geology consultant, and university instructor / curriculum developer. He holds a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and M.S. in Geology. A former evolutionary scientist, USAF pilot and astronaut candidate, he is now an ordained minister. Sal has been teaching on the subject of science, creation, and the Bible for many years. His multimedia presentations show that God’s creation account in Genesis is not refuted in any way by the true facts of science. Providing answers to questions regarding the fossil record, so-called evolution of man, age of the Earth, Genesis account of creation… all of these areas show that the true facts of science are always in agreement with scripture. Sal’s new book, In The Beginning…God or Dirt? is a colorful, easy-to-read but hard-hitting book that answers the question: “Did Earth’s living creatures begin with God, or with the naturalistic processes of inert matter?” The book addresses key points with information and illustrations designed for busy readers and homeschoolers. Read sample pages and learn more by visiting www.GodorDirt.com.
9. Van Andel Research Center for the Creation Research Society – The Van Andel Creation Research Center (VACRC) is located in Chino Valley, Arizona. The Creation Research Society, a professional organization of trained scientists and interested laypersons who are firmly committed to scientific special creation, established VACRC in north-central Arizona for the purpose of aiding the Society and other visiting scientists in their research efforts. The research center is strategically located near a large variety of biological and geological areas of great importance to the creationist position. The Grand Canyon, just two hours to the north, is perhaps the most geologically interesting area of all. The Director of VACRC is Kevin Anderson who has a Ph.D. in Microbiology and was formerly a research microbiologist for the United States Department of Agriculture. He is also the editor-and-chief of the Creation Research Society Quarterly. Visit the Van Andel Creation Research website to see what Dr. Anderson and the other scientists are currently doing. They also periodically hold microscope workshops in association with Arizona Origin Science Association (AzOSA).
10. World View Outreach Church – Larry Kisner is a physicist and engineering scientist who worked in the aerospace industry for 25 years before retiring. He is also an ordained minister who served as an Associate Pastor and Worship Leader at Calvary Chapel and Life’s Destiny Church in Mesa, Arizona. In 1999 he and his wife Kim, a chemical engineer, founded the non-denominational World View Outreach Church. Their ministry provides spiritual and educational guidance to local churches and civic organizations with a unique combination of Biblical and scientific teachings about God our Creator and how to live a clean, healthy life – including how to conserve the environment that God created for our benefit by protecting our precious water and air. Read some of Larry’s articles at Faith-contenders.net and at his creation science blog: Creation Science and the Bible.
Creation Revolution – R.L. David Jolly currently serves as editor-in-chief of Creation Revolution. David grew up in Mesa, and spent most of his life in Arizona. He attended Mesa Community College and Arizona State University (B.S. Wildlife Biology), followed by ICR Graduate School where he received his Masters Degree in Biology. Co-founder of the Arizona Origin Science Association, in 1995 he also started Barashith Ministries (Hebrew for “in the beginning”). Jolly spoke on biblical creation locally in Arizona and lectured around the southwestern United States. In 1996, he accepted the position of assistant to Ken Ham at Answers in Genesis and moved his family from his beloved Arizona to northern Kentucky. Dave also served as the research coordinator with the museum content team, which was responsible for all of the teaching in the Creation Museum, including over 50 videos and all of the signs and text found throughout the Museum. Now Dave has retired from Answers in Genesis and publishes regularly on Creation Revolution.